Apart from their use in the bathrooms, mirrors have become an important décor item in most homes as they add character to the interior of a room. But if your mirror looks cloudy, unclean & streaky, then it is time for you to learn the right way to do mirror cleaning. Some people believe that it is a tricky job but if done properly, you can do it quickly & easily.
Don’ts of Mirror Cleaning:
- First & foremost is the use of newspapers for mirror cleaning. The newspaper ink leaves residue on your mirror which leads to streaks. Therefore, it is time to shelf this traditional method.
- We also discourage the use of paper towels to clean mirrors. The reason behind it is simple. Paper towels leave lint behind which is not the characteristic of a good cleaning tool. Not only this, but they are not very budget friendly.
- Cleaning mirrors in straight lines will surely leave many untouched places. You may be using the best cleaning tools but if not done correctly, your mirrors will continue to show untouched cloudy spots.
These are some of the things that you want to avoid, if you wish to get best results from your mirror cleaning efforts.
Do’s of Mirror Cleaning:
Following are some of the basic things you need to note while thoroughly cleaning your mirrors.
1- The Right Tools:
Like every cleaning process, mirror cleaning also needs some special tools which will make the job easier & quicker.
- Microfiber cloth
- Rubbing Alcohol/Mirror cleaning chemical
2- Basic Cleaning:
The 1st step should be removing smudge marks. Wet your microfiber cloth with water and attack the smudge marks. Water helps to moisten the spots and make cleaning easier. As we explained before, use circular motions instead of cleaning in straight lines. This is similar to how we tackle food stains before washing the clothes.
3- Thorough Cleaning:
You will use either a diluted solution of rubbing alcohol or any home-made mirror cleaning chemical along with the microfiber cloth for thorough cleaning. To make rubbing alcohol solution, mix equal parts of water & 70% Rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. No matter what chemical you use for deep cleaning, you need to keep the following things in mind:
- Always shake the bottle of your mirror cleaning chemical before every use.
- Keep the nozzle of the spray bottle at a distance.
- Don’t soak your mirror with the chemical. Spray in a way that a layer of mist is formed on the surface.
A little pro-tip is to fold your microfiber cloth and then use it to clean the surface. Folding the cloth provides extra cleaning surfaces which you can use by flipping the cloth when that particular side is soiled. Start from the top edge and then move in circular or zig zag motion till you reach the bottom edge of the mirror. You can check for any remaining spots by checking the mirror at a 45degree angle. Then spot clean these areas till you get the desired result. Now your mirrors will truly complement the ambiance of your beautiful home.
Disclaimer: The uses shown and described for WD-40 Multi-Use Product were provided to WD-40 Company by the users themselves. These uses haven’t been tested by WD-40 Company and do not constitute a recommendation of suggestion for use by WD-40 Company. Common sense should be exercised whenever using WD-40 Company products. Always follow the instructions and take heed of any warnings printed on the packaging.
Check out our website for more information, whether its tips and tricks or you just want to find out about our product information, you can find all that here.